Monday, 20 July 2015

Green a-line skirt planning

I'm currently planning a green, innocent world inspired skirt for this green cotton I have.

I had a vague idea looked around lolilibrary for some inspiration, and eventually drew this. Apologies for my drawing skills.


That's intended to be a box pleated ruffle at the bottom, and I intend to use the buttons to close it, rather than having a zip somewhere. And I think that, unlike the drawing, I'm going to have a couple of inches of waistband.

These are some of the skirts I was inspired by.

Yeah, they're all innocent world. I really love innocent world, especially things like this, where it's so beautifully simple and elegant.



The plan

I'm going make it out of two main panels, rather than four, because I'm quite attached to the idea of the button section being the only place with seams. And I'm going to underline it, so I'll be cutting two from the main fabric and two from the lining (possibly just going to be more of the main fabric).

Then I'm going to french seam the top and sides of each lining and main panel together and do the bound button holes. Then sew the lining of the front piece to the whole of the back piece under the button section.

And then hem and add the ruffle.

So, all in all, it shouldn't bee too difficult. I think the most challenging part is going to be the bound buttonholes, because they look tricky and I've never done them before.







No comments:

Post a Comment